I'm getting really excited, next week I'm returning to Ti Rivier, Haiti (it's not on google map, but Les Cayes is, which is close to where I am). It's been over 6 months since I was last in Haiti, which may not seem like long, but it's starting to feel like awhile ago. When I go there, it's like returning to see good friends. Ti Rivier is located right on the Atlantic Ocean. As you wander away from the main road, which is on the ocean, you immediately start to go uphill into mountains/hills where a lot of villagers' homes are scattered about. I stay at a mission house, which neighbors an orphanage, that's close to the ocean and the main road. I miss the kids at the orphanage a great deal, as well as their "moms" Gertrude and Renard ---amazing Haitian ladies that are prayer warriors and are raising these children to know and rely on God.
Almost every night at the mission house/orphanage compound, we hold youth group. Young men and women from around the village come hungry to hear God's word. Some come against family's wishes. Voodoo is still a common religion in Haiti. I've known of a few cases where parents that practice voodoo have basically disowned children that choose to follow Jesus. It's amazing to spend time with the youth (ages 13 up until the early 20's...the school system in Haiti is set up for students to fail and many don't finish high school until their 20's). I'm excited to see all of them next week! I've been reading over what I've learned at YWAM during lecture phase. I'm hoping to have an opportunity to share with them some of what I've learned. I desire to see young Haitians raise up as leaders who are willing to disciple other youth in their community.
No comments:
Post a Comment