Friday, February 3, 2012

Orphans

This trip I had the opportunity to spend a lot of time with the kids in the Mission Haiti orphanage. 10 kids live in the orphanage, ages ranging from 3 to 18 years old. A single woman named Gertrude and a married couple (Renard and Lubin) take care of the kids. The kids are well-cared for and are genuinely good kids. Their faithful parents (Gertrude, Renard, Lubin) pray with the kids and are teaching them the ways of the Lord.

I loved reading and playing with the kids.
Highlights:
afternoon Jenga games  with 11-year-old Dolky
making paper airplanes and launching them from the upstairs of an outdoor dining area
swimming with the kids in the ocean and then having the youngest orphan Kenny fall asleep in my arms while sitting on the beach in the Haitian sun.
taking the kids on a boat ride to "paradise island" a small uninhabited island off the shore. 4-year-old Anderson was my swimming buddy- he had a great time during his first island trip


Typing this blog tonight, I realize I miss these kids a lot already!

No comments:

Post a Comment