Saturday, December 15, 2012

A home visit

It's always interesting to see the inside of Haitian homes and see the way of life of families in Ti Rivier. I had the opportunity to make a few home visits during my second week in Haiti.

One Saturday, my friend Olgens informed me that a young woman from the village was very sick and couldn't walk. So, I packed up my backpack with some medical supplies, invited a couple team members to along, and headed down the road, with Olgens at the lead. After walking down the main road, crossing a few streams along the way, we arrived at the home of the Jean Baptiste family. The young woman (maybe 20 years old) was lying on the bed of a small 2-room house. The temperature inside of the house was very warm, I couldn't imagine the misery of being sick with fevers in a room so hot.

I examined the woman, whose heart was beating over 100 beats per minute, and was very diaphoretic, with poor skin turgor. If I remember right, her main complaints were weakness, abdominal pain and vomiting, and fever. She most likely had some sort of stomach bug and was becoming dehydrated. She actually wasn't as bad off as I thought she might be, based on Olgens' earlier description of her, but she was quite sick. She did say that she was able to walk.
It was awesome to have the opportunity to minister to this woman the Father's love, give her health teaching, and give her some antibiotics/tylenol/worm pill and re-hydration packets.  Olgens, the other 2 team members, and I laid hands on her and prayed for her before we left. I gave her instructions to send for me if she became worse.

This young woman's little brother Franz hangs around Mission Haiti a lot and is a key member at the youth group. I asked him for updates throughout the weekend. I believe the woman ended up going to the hospital in Les Cayes (nearby larger city....see my post Pickups are ambulances) on Sunday where they gave her some IV Fluids. Franz said she was a lot better after the fluids. Praise God!

No comments:

Post a Comment